Ingredients (Makes about 15 ulli vada)
- Onion – 1 medium-large, thinly sliced and cut into 1/3 rd or finely chopped
Green chilies – 2, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 5 – 6, finely chopped
Salt – As required
2. All purpose flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1.5 tbsp
3. Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Hing / asafoetida / kaya podi – 1 – 2 pinches
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Crushed fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp (optional)
4. Water – 1/2 – 3/4 cup or as needed to make a very thick batter
5. Salt – To taste
6. Oil, for deep frying
- Combine onion with green chilies, ginger, curry leaves and salt. Crush well with your fingers (njeruduka).
2. Add all purpose flour, rice flour and all the other ingredients numbered 3. Mix well.
3. Add water little by little and mix well until you get a very thick batter. Set aside for 15 minutes.
4. Heat oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil OR Dip you fingers in water (placed in a bowl) and scoop a little batter . Make a hole in the middle (just as you would for medu / uzhunnu vada). Drop gently into the oil. Fry over medium heat on both sides, for 8 – 10 minutes till crispy and browned. Serve hot with chutney / ketchup.