Mixed Vegetable Koottu Curry – Onam Sadya Special
Just days left for one of the most beautiful celebrations of Kerala – Onam. The whole of Kerala will soon be in the Onam mood! Well, I am gearing up to welcome Mahabali Thamburan to my home too and I am planning to give him a variety treat this year!
Since I already have most traditional sadya recipes in here, I am thinking why not experiment with a few new dishes??? Like using potato, beetroot, carrot in Kootu curry instead of traditional vegetables like yam and plantain? Or a few other dishes like Inji Theeyal, nellika pachadi, carrot pachadi, carrot payasam etc. Yes, they are not traditional but they would pamper your taste buds for sure!
Lets start with this yummy Kootu curry. I got the idea for this modern Kootu curry while having lunch at a restaurant, Desi Dosa Madras in Vancouver BC. Must say that their dishes were simply outstanding! I ordered for a Fish Thali lunch, and one item was this kootu curry with mixed vegetables that was simply awesome. And being me, I tried it next day at home and Akhil loved it. He is someone who is not fond of Yam or Plantain so this version pleased him soo much.
So guys, if you are planning to give a twist to your Onam menu, try this modern version of Kootu curry and just wow your guests!
And more sadya recipes will follow in the coming days!
Ingredients (Serves 7)
1. Beetroot – 1 small, cut into small cubes
2. Potato – 2 small, cut into small cubes
Carrot – 1 medium, cut into small cubes
Green beans – 6, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – A few
Salt – To taste
Water – 1 – 1.5 cups
3. Black chana / karutha kadala – 3/4 – 1 cup, cooked (Soak black chana in enough water overnight. Pressure cook until done. Drain water and set aside).
4. Grated coconut – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
5. Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
Jaggery – 1/4 tsp or to taste
6. To season
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Pearl onions – 6, thinly sliced
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
1. Grind the grated coconut along with cumin seeds and whole pepper corns to a coarse paste.
2. In a small vessel, cook the beetroot cubes adding enough water for around 8 minutes or until soft (you can steam them instead).
3. Place the potato cubes, carrot cubes, green beans, turmeric powder, chilly powder, curry leaves, salt and 1.5 cups water in a heavy-bottomed vessel or a large cheena chatti. Cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes until the vegetables are 75 % done. Add the beetroot cubes and cooked black chana. Cook for a few minutes. Next add the ground coconut mixture and cook for a few minutes. Add cumin powder, garam masala powder and enough salt. Mix well and switch off.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilies and curry leaves. Add sliced pearl onion and saute until browned. Add grated coconut and fry until golden brown. Add this to the koottu curry and mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Serve with rice and other side-dishes. We had it with kuthari choru, ethapazham pulisseri, kadukumanga achar, pavakka mezhukkupuratti and carrot pachadi.