Brussels sprouts which looks like miniature cabbage belong to the cabbage family and tastes almost like cabbage. Like the other cruciferous vegetables, it has got excellent cancer-fighting properties. They are very high in fiber and are loaded with protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, calcium and folic acid. It is also low in fat and calories like the other vegetables.
I had always seen this cute vegetable in the stores but had no idea on how to prepare them until I had a sprouts-black chickpeas/kadala thoran at a friends’ place. Since then I have been making sprouts thoran with cherupayar/green gram, vanpayar and kadala. It is a tasty and healthy combination. You can even add them in salads or grill if you wish. Once we had this delicious roasted brussels sprouts in an American restaurant. I will post the recipe for roasted sprouts soon. Here is the recipe for the simple and healthy brussels sprouts thoran/stirfry with vanpayar.
- Brussel Sprouts – 18 – 20 chopped (Do not forget to cut off the stems and remove one or two layers of leaves)
- Vanpayar/Red chori- 1 cup cooked
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 2 crushed
- Salt – To taste
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
9. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
10. Dry red chillies – 2
1. Cook the red chori/ vanpayar with salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder in a pressure cooker till it is done.
2. Heat some oil in a pan. Splutter the mustard seeds and brown the dry red chillies. Now add the chopped sprout, crushed garlic and curry leaves. Cover and cook till the sprouts become soft, at low heat.
3. Now add turmeric, powder, chilli powder and salt. Saute for a few minutes, add the grated coconut and mix well. Finally add the cooked vanpayar. Stir for a few more minutes or until the thoran becomes dry.