Egg curry can be made in many different ways. This is a Trissur style tangy egg curry which goes very well with rice.
- Egg – 5 hard-boiled
- Onion – 1 small sliced and halved
- Shallots / kunjulli – 5, sliced
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Green mango pieces – 1/2 cup sliced (I used frozen mangoes)
- Green chilies – 3, slit
- Ginger – 1 tsp, thinly sliced
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 – 3 tsp
- Thin coconut milk – 1 – 1.5 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
- Shallots – 4 , sliced
- Salt – To taste
- Oil preferably coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1. Mix together the onion, shallots, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well with fingers. Add mango pieces and 1 cup water/ thin coconut milk. Cover with lid, bring it to a boil and cook for 10 – 15 mts over medium-low heat.
2. When the onion and green mangoes are done, lower the heat and add the eggs. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add thick coconut milk. Cook for a minute and switch off.
3. Heat oil in another pan and add the shallots, brown them. Pour it over the curry and mix well. Serve with rice.
1. If the mango is less sour, you can add a little lemon juice, a tiny piece of kudam puli or tamarind juice. Instead of mango, you can add tamarind juice along with 1 medium sized tomato.
2. You can also add ground coconut paste instead of coconut milk.
3. You may add chopped eggs instead of whole eggs.
Recipe contributed by Preetha Jayesh