Egg – Mango Curry
Egg curry can be made in many different ways. This is a Trissur style tangy egg curry which goes well with rice.
- Eggs – 5 hard-boiled
- Onion – 1 small sliced (or sliced and chopped into halves)
- Green mango pieces – 1/2 cup sliced (I used frozen mangoes)
- Green chillies – 2 – 3, slit
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, thinly sliced
- Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Pearl onions – 4 – 5, sliced
- Salt – To taste
- Oil preferably coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1. Mix together the onion, mango, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, salt and 1 cup of water. Cover with lid, bring it to a boil and cook for 10 – 15 mts at medium heat.
2. When the onion and green mangoes are done, lower the heat and add the thick coconut milk. Now add the eggs (make gashes on the eggs if you want) and simmer for 10 more minutes or till you achieve the desired consistency.
3. Heat oil in another pan and add the sliced pearl onions, brown them. Pour it over the curry and mix well. Serve with rice.
1. If the mango is less sour, you can add a little tomato paste, lemon juice or tamarind juice. Instead of mango, you can add tamarind juice along with 1 medium sized tomato.
2. You can also add ground coconut paste instead of coconut milk.
3. You may add chopped eggs instead of whole eggs.
Recipe contributed by Preetha Jayesh