Here I am sharing the recipe for chakkayappam which is a popular snack in Kerala when jackfruits are in season.This is usually made in a cone shape (known as kumbilappam) but to make it easy I tried pressing them on the vazhanayila. You can also steam them after flattening them on banana leaves.
- Ripe jackfruit paste – 2 cup, Chop the jackfruit pieces and grind to a fine paste in a mixer
- Rice flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – Around 75 gm, grated
- Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 3-4 powdered
- Cumin seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Dry ginger(chukku) – 2 inch powdered
- Vazhanayila – 12 – 15
1. Mix all the ingredients except vazhanayila with your hands. If the dough is watery add more rice flour. Make small balls out of it and flatten them on one end of the vazhanayila with your fingers. Fold it and again flatten some dough in the second fold. Close it and steam cook them for around 20 – 25 mts.