Here is a spicy and extremely tasty fish pickle recipe for all the pickle lovers out there..
1. Fish – 2.5 kg (I used tuna/choora)
2. Garlic – Around 60 – 70 small pods
3. Ginger – 6-7 inch piece thinly sliced
4. Fresh ginger-garlic paste – 5-6 tsp
5. Curry leaves – 10 – 15 sprigs
6. Chilly powder- 6 – 7 tbsp (Adjust it according to your spice preference. Use Kashmiri chilly powder if you prefer a less spicy pickle)
7. Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
8. Green chillies – 7-8 slit (optional)
9. Pepper powder or chilli powder – 4 – 5 tsp ( I used pepper powder for the fish marinade)
10. Fenugreek powder – 1 tsp
11. Vinegar – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
12. Mustard seeds – 3 tsp
13. Salt – to taste
14. Sesame oil – For deep frying
15. Salt – To taste
1. Clean and cut the fish into small cubes(remove the excess water with a tissue). Marinate them with salt, turmeric powder and 4 – 5 tsp pepper/chilli powder for at least 30 mts. Fry them in oil. Keep aside.
2. In another pan pour some oil (you can use the oil which was used for frying the fish) and shallow fry the ginger, garlic and curry leaves(You can also add ginger, garlic and curry leaves after spluttering the mustard seeds but I always shallow fry them separately first).
3. Now splutter the mustard seeds in the remaining oil(after shallow frying ginger and garlic). Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies ( if you are adding them) and cook until their raw taste is gone. Now remove from heat, add chilli powder and fenugreek powder. Mix well, add the fried ginger, garlic, curry leaves,fried fish and again mix well. Check for salt, add vinegar and mix well. Bring to a boil and switch off. If you would like to have more gravy you can add around 1/2 cup hot water and heat it. Store in an airtight container when it cools down completely. Use it after at least 2 weeks for the flavors to set in. Refrigerate if you want to keep it for long.
wow..too good ! pass me some…by the way, how long did u take to peel that many garlic?
memories of my college daysss……..
Omg, wat a tempting pickle..makes me drool..i’ll try this soon as we are sucker of pickles..
wow what a beautiful & delicious pickle…just loved the recipe, never tried doing pickle at home but now i think i should start trying it soon
UUUUUUUUHHHHH. I love it. nICE CLICKS TOO. Looks very very tempting. I can taste from the wonderful pictures or urs. Really yummy.
delicious pickle…love it
this is making me drool..im def gonna try this..thanks a lot for the awards…
New to me, Nice color with perfect presentation dear.
Wooow superb pickle dear looks sooooo colourful n delicious,,mouthwatering dear very good with curd rice..
eeshwara satyaytuum hostel days orma varanu…Excellent..we were thinking about one..Good one Yummies…
fish pickle is new to me…looks so spicy and yum…tempting clicks 🙂
yummy team what a delicious pickle.My husband is not a grt fan of this but me,i can finish the full bowl within minutes..hihi
Hey.. this looks so yummy.. i wish i cud have some of it
You are rocking yummy 🙂 My mom-in-law prepares it almost the same way but she adds lots of other spices too. Drooling on seeing the pictures.
yummy… My hubby was sad that we have finished the fish pickle that we got from home… Now I am gonna give a try.. Thanks for the recipe.. Wonderful clicks too..
Wow this is too good!!delicious pickle..need to try this..thanks for sharing.
Mouth Watering 🙂
People you rock…Never prepared pickle with fish will surely try..gorgeous pictures !!!
I could never have enough of this 🙂 vaayil vallam niranju..
This is really interesting to me. It’s new to me but looks very delicious and appetising. Thanks for sharing.
so tempting… feels like having it now… will try this out!
So tempting and looks delicious and great click too…
kothi ayittu vaya…my amma used to make this…..u made me to remember her pickel……arankillum varum bol enni koduthu vidanna parayannam…
Thank You All!!
reminds me of college days
Tempting pic 🙂
I just made this pickle 10.30pm IST 😉
it tastes awesome and thanks a lot for the recipe !Apparently i tried my hands on kottayam style fish curry also and that too has been approved by my family!kudos! great recipes, simple explanation and very good pictures..way to go!
Thank you for your encouraging words, Priya..Really glad to hear that you loved the recipes..and thanks a bunch for letting us know how you liked it 🙂
Hi this recipe is really great…:-). I tried this twice and both the times it came out too good…
Thanks a lot for your feedback, Ann 🙂 Great to know that you liked it..
Thanks a lot for this recipe.I tried this recipe and it came out very nice.It was the first time that I saw this website and many of the recipes posted here made me remember my mother’s cooking.Keep posting and waiting again for more authentic kerala recipes.
Thanks a lot for your sweet words, Meera. Am glad that you loved this recipe. You can expect more authentic kerala dishes in the future 🙂
sama super i wil prepare nd give 2 my hpomme i lvu fish
Super . We prepared it for our north Inidan guest.
This is a must try recipe or all fish pickle lovers; tried it, loved it!!!
This is a must try recipe for all fish pickle lovers; tried it, loved it!!!
turned out really well and awesome, next time i used toddy vinegar that gave better result.
must say….i made this over 3 times nd its just perfect..and extremely yummy!!!
Very simple recipe. Thanks a lot for sharing. I had a doubt whether I can use coconut oil instead of Sesame oil?
Yeah you can use coconut oil instead, but it will have a longer shelf time if you use sesame oil..
I have tried this recipe with a couple of variations and it is a superhit.. The hardest part with making fish pickle is frying the fish. I broil them in the oven n it works just as well.. Try it!!
Thanks for the feedback Bini..I will surely try broiling the fish next time. Thanks for the tip.
hai..i had tried many of ur recipies..its awesome ..today am going to try ur fish pickle..what type of vinegar do u use.? when i went to the market ,there are many types here..like balsamic ,malt ,acv…
You can use rice vinegar for this recipe..
Very good recipe. For immediate use water is ok. But for a long term it get spoil very fast. From experience.
looks super yummy maya… i am a great fan of fish pickle… i’m drooling over this recipe…
my only worry is to peel nearly 70 garlic pods !!! but i suppose it’s worth all the trouble….:)
Just made this and love it!!! It’s my first try at fish pickle. I used less salt and although that compromised the taste a little, it’s delicious. Thankyou for the recipe.
I tried this just now with salmon.5/5.Really the best fish pickle.
which tuna you used white tuna or black? i tried your drumstick chicken biriyani 3-4 times.That was really tasty.
Thanks for your feedback! We usually use black tuna for fish pickle
Hi I tried d recipe n it tasted delicious,but my hubby suggested me to add some more gravy so tat fish get soaked,what can be done now.