- Vanpayar / Red cow peas / Red gram / Red chori -1 cup
- Pearl onions – 6 – 7, crushed or chopped (Optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly powder or crushed dry red chillies – 3 /4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp (Optional)
- Pepper powder or crushed whole pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilly – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – To taste
- Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1) Cook vanpayar in enough water (at least 3 – 3.5 cups or as required) and salt for 5 whistles or until it is soft and fully cooked. When the pressure releases or after 15 minutes, drain the water completely and set aside. If you want a slightly mashed up mezhukkupuratti, you can overcook the vanpayar.
2) Heat oil in a pan at medium heat. Splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and fry the dry red chilly. Now add a few curry leaves and pearl onions. Fry until the pearl onions turn light brown. Now add the spice powders except pepper powder. Stir for 1 – 2 seconds and add the cooked vanpayar. Check for salt. Season with pepper powder. Stir fry for a few minutes and switch off. Serve with rice / kanji.
1) You can substitute vanpayar with cherrupayar / green gram.