Mutta Puttu Recipe
Ingredients (For 6 – 7 chiratta puttu)
1. Puttu podi – 1.5 – 2 cups
2. Eggs – 5, beaten with a enough salt and pepper
3. Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
4. Onion – 1 medium, chopped (Around 1 1/4 cup)
5. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 4, chopped
6. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
7. Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
8. Salt – To taste
9. Grated coconut – Around 1 cup
1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add beaten eggs and scramble them. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add chopped onion, little salt and saute for a few minutes. When onion turns transparent, add ginger-garlic paste and chopped curry leaves. Saute until onion starts to change color. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute until the raw taste of masala powders is gone. Add chopped tomato and cook for 4 – 5 minutes until mushy. Add scrambled eggs. Mix well, taste-check for salt and cook for a few minutes. Switch off. Set aside to cool.
2. For the puttu mixture – Mix around 1 cup water with enough salt. Sprinkle the water on the puttu podi and mix well with your fingers without forming any lumps, until the puttu podi becomes moist. Be careful while mixing, it should not turn into a dough. (If there are a lot of lumps in the mixture, pulse it in a mixie). The final mixture should be in a powdered form, but wet enough for steaming. To check the consistency, grab a handful of the wet rice flour and press it. If it holds shape, but crumbles when pressed again, then the consistency should be right. When the rice flour is dampened, set aside for 5 – 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile fill a pressure cooker with one-half water. Close with its lid and bring to a boil.
4. I used a chiratta puttu maker. Put the small steel plate with holes, inside the chiratta puttu maker mould. Fill the puttu maker/mould with 1 tbsp grated coconut and 2 – 3 tbsp egg masala. Now add the puttu podi ( just loosely fill it with rice flour, do not press). Top with some more grated coconut. Cover with the lid. Place it on top of the pressure cooker when steam starts coming out of the pressure cooker lid. Steam cook for about 4 – 5 minutes or until steam comes profusely through the small holes on top of the chiratta puttu maker lid. Take out the mould and invert it into a serving bowl / casserole. Serve mutta puttu hot with a cup of tea.