1. White / brown bread slices – 8 (I used whole wheat bread)
2. Potato – 1 medium-large
3. Oil – 2 tsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
5. Curry leaves – 4 – 5 , finely chopped
Onion – 1/4 cup, thinly sliced and halved
6. Ginger-green chilly paste – 1 tsp (Grind 1/4 inch ginger and 1 green chilly to a paste in a mortar and pestle)
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
7. Fresh green peas – 1 – 2 tbsp (optional)
8. Cilantro – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
9. Salt – To taste
For Green chutney
10. Cilantro – 1.5 cup
Mint leaves – 8 – 10
Green chilly – 1 – 2
Grated coconut – 2 – 3 tbsp
Sugar – A tiny pinch
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
11. Softened butter – 3 – 4 tbsp or as required
12. Firm tomato – 2, thinly sliced to rounds and seeds removed
Onion – 1, thinly sliced
Green bell pepper / capsicum – half medium, thinly sliced
Chat masala and roasted cumin powder – 2 – 3 pinches each
1. Cook potato until done. Remove skin and mash roughly. Se aside.
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan at medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add chopped curry leaves and thinly sliced onion. Saute for a few seconds. Add turmeric powder and ginger-green chilly paste. Saute until onion turns translucent and raw taste of ginger-green chilli paste leaves. Add mashed potato, fresh green peas, if using, enough salt and mix well. Cook for a minute, sprinkle chopped cilantro and switch off. Set aside to cool.
3. Spread softened butter on both sides of the bread slices. Spread green chutney on one of the bread slice. Top with 2 – 3 tbsp mashed potato mixture followed by tomato slices, onion slices and green bell pepper. Sprinkle a pinch of chat masala and roasted cumin powder on top. (You can top it with some shredded cheese also,if you prefer). Cover with another bread slice. Toast in a sandwich maker until golden brown. Cut into triangles and serve hot with ketchup/ green chutney.
If you don’t have a sandwich maker, heat a tawa on medium heat, place the assembled sandwich and press down with a spatula or place a heavy weight on top until golden brown on both sides.
Looks great. Can you please tell me which sandwich maker do you use?