Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Potato – 2 medium-large, cut into medium cubes
2. Coconut oil – 2 tbsp or as required
3. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Crushed red chilies – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
4. Pearl onions – 6
Garlic – 3 small cloves
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
6. Water – 1/4 cup
7. Salt – To taste
1. Crush pearl onions and garlic in a mortar and pestle.
2. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a cheena chatti or a non-stick pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry crushed red chilies and curry leaves. Add crushed pearl onions and garlic. Cook for a minute until their raw flavor leaves. Add potato cubes, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder and enough salt, to taste. Mix well. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook at medium heat, stirring occasionally until 3/4th done. Add a tbsp of coconut oil. Cook for a few minutes at medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the potato pieces are slightly roasted and done. Serve with rice and other side-dishes.