Nadan Chicken Pal Curry (Authentic Kerala Style Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk)
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Chicken – 1/2 kg cut into medium pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
Pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
2. Coconut oil – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
3. Onion – 1.5 cup, thinly sliced
Ginger – 2 tsp, thinly sliced
Garlic – 2 tsp, chopped
Green chilies – 2 – 3, slit
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
4. Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole pepper corns – 1/8 tsp
Cardamom – 2, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch stick
Water – 1 – 2 tbsp
5. Thin coconut milk – 1.5 cups
6. Vinegar – 1 tsp
7. Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
8. Salt – To taste
9. Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Pearl onions – 2, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
- Marinate chicken pieces with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/8 tsp pepper powder and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. Take it out 30 minutes before cooking.
- Grind ingredients numbered 4 to a fine paste adding water little by little.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan / kadai over medium-high heat. Add onion, little salt, ginger, garlic and a few curry leaves. Saute until light golden.
- Add in the masala paste. Cook for a few minutes over low heat until their raw smell is completely gone.
- Add the chicken pieces into it and stir well to coat the spices onto the chicken. Cook for a few minutes, stirring in between.
- Pour in the thin coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook covered till the chicken is completely done. It will take 25 – 30 minutes.
- Open the lid and add a tsp of vinegar. Mix well. Next add the thick coconut milk. Mix well. Cook for a minute. Taste-check for salt. Add a few curry leaves and a pinch of garam masala powder, if required. Take off the heat.
- Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a small pan. Fry sliced shallots until golden. Fry a few curry leaves. Pour this over the curry. Cover with lid for 10 – 15 minutes. It goes well with chapathis, appam and idiyappam.