1. Day-old bread (challah, brioche etc) – Around 8 slices, 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick (Please don’t use fresh bread. You can also use regular whole wheat / white sandwich bread but challah, brioche or cinnamon-raisin bread works best for French toast)
2. Eggs – 3
Whole milk – 3/4 cup (You can replace it with heavy cream)
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt – A tiny pinch
3. Nutella – 3 – 4 tbsp or as required
4. Butter – 2 tbsp or as required for frying
5. Maple syrup, whipped cream, fresh fruits, powdered sugar, honey, butter etc – To serve
1. Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder and salt. Pour into a wide bowl.
2. Slather nutella on a bread slice. Top it with a bread slice. Repeat with the other bread slices.
3. Heat a skillet at medium-low heat. Melt 1/2 – 1 tsp butter in the skillet. Dip a sandwich in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side and place on the skillet. Fry until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm with maple syrup and fresh fruits on the side.