Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Yaki soba noodles / chow mein (I used fresh yaki soba noodles) – 350 gm
2. Vegetable oil or peanut oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
Onion – 1/2 cup, sliced
Garlic, minced – 1.5 tsp each (optional)
Cabbage – 1.5 cup, thickly sliced and halved
Celery – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced diagonally
3. Soy sauce – 2 – 3 tsp (I used Chings secret dark soy sauce)
Oyster sauce – 2 tsp (optional)
Rice vinegar – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp or to taste
4. Toasted sesame oil – 1/2 tsp (optional)
5. Salt and pepper – As required to taste
1. Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain in a colander. Add a tsp of oil and toss gently. Set aside until ready to use.
2. Heat 2 – 3 tsp oil in a wok/ non stick pan over high heat. Swirl gently to coat the entire wok. Add onion, garlic and cook for a minute. Add cabbage and celery. Stir-fry for 4 – 5 minutes until veggies are slightly charred. Add cooked noodles, soy sauce, oyster sauce and 1 tsp rice vinegar. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt if required and pepper powder. Stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes until the noodles are well-coated with the sauces. Taste-check for salt and add more sauces, if required. Garnish with chopped spring onion. Serve as is or with side-dishes of your side-dishes.