Kovakka ( Tindora, Ivy Gourd) Peera Pattichathu / Kovakka Peera Vechathu
Ingredients (Serves 3 )
1. Kovakka ( tindora, ivy gourd) – Around 1/4 kg (sliced diagonally or sliced lengthwise to quarters)
2. Pearl onions – 7 – 8
Green chilies – 3 – 4, sliced diagonally
Grated coconut – 3/4 – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cocums (kudam puli ) – 2 or as required
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt – To taste
3. Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1. Soak the cocums (kudam puli) in enough water. Tear them with your hands into small pieces.
2. Crush the ingredients numbered 2 with your hands (njeruduka) and combine with sliced tindora in a claypot. Mix well, sprinkle 2 – 3 tbsp water(you can use the water in which you soaked the kudam puli. Also if the kovakka is not very tender, use more water) and cook covered at med-low heat. Stir well in between. It will take around 25 minutes at medium – low heat. Open the lid and add 2 – 3 tsp coconut oil. Mix well and serve with hot rice and an ozhichu curry.
1. You can add a tsp of ginger and garlic to this preparation if you wish. Add it along with the other ingredients in step 2.
2. You can substitute tindora with pavakka (bitter gourd) or potato (add 1/4 cup water while cooking potato).