Ingredients (Serves 1 – 2)
1. Eggplant – 4, small (You can use any variety of eggplant you prefer)
2. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 – 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Vegetable oil – To shallow fry
1. Slice the eggplants thinly. Put them in a vessel filled with water. Drain well.
2. Combine the ingredients numbered 2 in a bowl. Add little water to make a very thick paste. Rub this spice mixture on to the thinly sliced eggplants. Set aside for 5 minutes. Heat oil (do not use more than 1 – 1.5 tbsp as eggplant absorbs oil) in a pan at medium heat. Shallow fry the eggplant slices until brown and crispy, flipping over to the other side in between. Drain on to a paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve hot. It goes extremely well with rice and dal/ pulliseri or curd rice. Enjoy!
Instead of frying, you can bake the sliced eggplants. Add 2 tsp oil to the marinade and arrange the marinated eggplants in a baking sheet lined with aluminium foil. Grease the foil and bake at 375 F for about 8 – 10 minutes. Now turn the broil mode and broil for 2 – 3 minutes. You don’t need to flip them. Serve immediately.