Whole Chicken Baked
I baked a whole chicken for the first time today and it turned out really well. I saw this yummy recipe in kerala kitchen and decided to give it a try. The recipe is very simple even though the baking time is around 1.5 hrs. I used the same ingredients except I added vegetable oil instead of butter. Thanks Maneka for this simple and lovely recipe. I will be making it again soon 🙂
- Cornish game hen or whole chicken – 1
- Fresh ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tbsp ( grind 1 inch piece ginger and 4-5 cloves of garlic)
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Meat masala – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 small sliced
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Clean the whole chicken after removing the giblets and skin. Pat dry.
Marinate the chicken with the other ingredients for at least 5 hrs. Make a few deep gashes in the fleshy parts of the chicken so that the masala can penetrate inside. Since we are adding oil to the marinade it will easily stick to the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
4. Place the marinated chicken inside the baking tray or any oven safe dish. Cover it with an aluminum foil and bake for around 30 mts. After 30 mts take the chicken out and turn it to the other side. Cover it again with the aluminium foil and return back to the oven after drizzling some oil on top of the chicken.
5. After another 30 mts take out the baking tray and baste the chicken with the juice that oozed out of it. Put the sliced onions over the chicken. Place it back in the oven, bake for another 30 mts and it will be done. Serve with sliced onion and lemon wedges.