Here is a recipe for a simple yet delicious vazhakka thoran. Raw banana is not the same as plantain (ethakka) and tastes different. You must have come across these by the name of banana saba in the Indian stores. You will love this thoran.
- Raw banana/ vazhakka – 3 – 4 or around 2 lb
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Brown rice – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – To taste
1. Peel the raw banana and chop them to small cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter the mustard seeds and add the dry red chilies, kuthari and brown them.
3. Stir in the chopped raw banana pieces, turmeric powder, chilly powder, curry leaves and salt. Cover and cook till tender at low heat.
4. Crush the grated coconut with cumin seeds, garlic and green chilies. Add it to the cooked raw banana. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes. Switch off. Serve vazhakka / raw banana thoran with rice and other side-dishes.