Vazhapindi-Thuvaraparippu Thoran (Banana Stem-Toor Dal Poriyal)
There are lots of dishes that one could try with banana stem. Banana stem has lots of fibre and aids weight loss. It also helps eliminate toxins from the body. It is usually taken in the juice form to treat kidney stones. Try to include banana stem at least once a week as it is so good for your health. Here is the recipe for a healthy and delicious thoran using banana stem.
- Vazhapindi (chopped finely) – Around 2.5 cups
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Garlic – 2-3 pods
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies -2
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – As required
1. Clean the banana stem, cut into round pieces while removing the fibres with your forefingers.
2. Cook the toor dal and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, add dry red chillies. Now add the finely chopped banana stem, curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt. Cover and cook for around 8-10 mts.
4. Crush the grated coconut with garlic, cumin seeds and green chillies in a mixer. Now add the crushed coconut mixture to the cooked banana stem. Mix well and saute until dry and add the cooked toor dal. Again mix well and cook for a few more minutes and switch off.