We can prepare delicious thoran with flowers too!! For example muringappoo (drum stick flowers), banana flower, yam flower, pumpkin flower etc. All these thorans are highly nutritious, healthy and tasty. They have lots of medicinal values as well. Here is the recipe for mathappoo thoran:
- 1. Pumpkin Flowers (Mathappoo) – 10 – 12
- 2. Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- 3. Turmeric powder – A pinch
- 4. Pepper powder – 1-2 pinches
- 5. Oil – 1 tsp
6. Mustard – 1 tsp
7. Curry leaves – A few
8. Dry red chilly – 1
- 9. Salt – As required
1. Wash and chop the pumpkin flowers finely.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustards. When it splutters, fry the dry red chillies, then add the chopped pumpkin flowers, pepper powder, turmeric powder and coconut. Stir fry until cooked. It would take only a few minutes. Serve hot with rice.