- Whole urad dal / uzhunnuparippu – 1 cup
- Red rice (Kerala rosematta rice / kuthari) – 1 cup
- Whole pepper – 2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1.5 tsp ( I added 3 tsp whole pepper corns and 1/2 tsp chilly powder. You can adjust these spices according to your taste preference.)
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Hing / asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
1. Heat a pan and roast the urad dal, whole pepper and rice at low heat, stirring occasionally. When they are about to turn brown, change the flame to medium heat and roast them until golden brown, stirring continuously. It will take around 20 – 25 minutes. ( Ariyum uzhunnum kadichal pottanam). Take care not to burn them. The color of this idli podi depends on how much you roasted them.
2. Switch off and add chilly powder, coriander powder, hing and salt. Mix well. Keep aside to cool. Grind to a coarse or fine powder in a mixer or coffee grinder. Store in an air-tight container, at room temperature. It will keep for at least 2-3 months. Mix required podi with enough coconut oil / sesame oil and enjoy with dosa / idli.
You can substitute red rice / kuthari / rosematta rice with Bengal gram / kadala parippu / chana dal.
Wow looks so yummy…idli n podi awesome combination
my fav …Looks super da…kandittu , photoil ninne eduthu kazhikan thonunund tto…
wow idli podi looks soooo delicious n love the first pic …makes me drool
omg…what a terrific pic dear… lovely combo….
Looks so delicious …… perfect combo for breakfast 🙂
I too always love to have idly and dosa with this podi..
my hubby’s fav,how much v searched 4 this podi here in shops,now i can make it,thank u soooooooo much.
kurachu idli kittiirnengiiiil……chamanthi podi kazhikamayirunnuuuu….
I enjoy eating idli with podi and garlic,podi looks so yummy.
Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com
idli with podi is one of the appetizing and yummy combo.. love the pics…
Idli and podi is a great combo..I use coconut oil also with podi:)
Visit me when time permits…
idli podi looks so yummy. i am feeling hungry.
nice spicy podi
What a lovely idli podi,, it is been a long time i ate idli:)
this is one of our favs..never really tried making it though
ha ha ithukollamallo next time try cheyyam ketto
Lovely podi…ur version seems different…
yummm, the podi looks so spicy with a lovely color..the pics are gorgeous!
yummy chammanthipodi…enikku vangikkunna chammanthipodide taste athra ishtamilla…will try this….
Wow looks so yummy,spicy and delicious podi with soft idlis..makes me hungry..beautiful clicks dear.
I can’t lie – I am clueless and have no idea what this is…certainly gorgeous and intriguing.
best combo…adipoli, sherikum kothiyavunuutou.:-)
Flavourful idli podi, my favourtie…
Priya’s Easy N Tasty Recipes
Idli podi adipoli. Ari idunnthu njan first time kannunnu.
wow..yummy..my favorite ..pls pass the plate to me
Looks spicy and perfect podi for idli..
podi looks so tepmting and the idlis so soft!!
Lovely presentation…very yummy one
Podi looks perfect
we all like to have idli with podi and your idli looks like Mallipoo idli!!!!!!!!!
oh my fav..njanum oru kuppi undakki vechittundu ;)….soft idlis too..
this blog is lovellyy!!
My hubby and kids love this, but not me 🙂 Usually we bring packets of this from home whenever we visit,so I rarely make this…madi thanne…lol
grt with idily and dosa…..