- Whole urad dal / uzhunnuparippu – 1 cup
- Red rice (Kerala rosematta rice / kuthari) – 1 cup
- Whole pepper – 2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1.5 tsp ( I added 3 tsp whole pepper corns and 1/2 tsp chilly powder. You can adjust these spices according to your taste preference.)
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Hing / asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
1. Heat a pan and roast the urad dal, whole pepper and rice at low heat, stirring occasionally. When they are about to turn brown, change the flame to medium heat and roast them until golden brown, stirring continuously. It will take around 20 – 25 minutes. ( Ariyum uzhunnum kadichal pottanam). Take care not to burn them. The color of this idli podi depends on how much you roasted them.
2. Switch off and add chilly powder, coriander powder, hing and salt. Mix well. Keep aside to cool. Grind to a coarse or fine powder in a mixer or coffee grinder. Store in an air-tight container, at room temperature. It will keep for at least 2-3 months. Mix required podi with enough coconut oil / sesame oil and enjoy with dosa / idli.
You can substitute red rice / kuthari / rosematta rice with Bengal gram / kadala parippu / chana dal.