Green peas in a ground coconut sauce / Green peas curry
Ingredients (Serves 7)
- Green peas – 1.5 cup, dried
- Onion – 1 small, thinly sliced
- Tomato – 1 small, chopped
- Green chilies – 2, slit
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Grated coconut – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 – 2 pinches
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
1) Soak green peas in water for at least 6 – 7 hrs. Drain and keep aside.
2) Grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds to a very smooth paste.
3) Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add sliced onions and green chillies. Saute until onion turns transparent and then add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute for a few seconds and add tomatoes and curry leaves. Cook for a minute and add enough water to cook the green peas (water should be in the same level as that of the green peas). Add enough salt. Bring it to a boil and add the soaked green peas. Cook for 1 whistle or until the green peas is done.(The cooking time and number of whistles totally depends on the type of green peas and pressure cooker you use.) Open the pressure cooker after 10 minutes and add the ground coconut paste. Bring it to a boil and cook for a few minutes, taste check for salt, garam masala and switch off. If the gravy is very thick, add some hot water and cook for a few more minutes. Serve hot with appam/ idiyappam / chapatis / parottas.
You can substitute grated coconut with thick coconut milk ( around 1/2 cup).