This recipe is loosely adapted from Sandeepa’s Bong Mom’s Cookbook. I saw this particular recipe for Bengali fish fry (anglo-bangla fry) in Deepa’s blog “Cookery Indexer”. She had tried it from Sandeepa’s “Bong Mom’s Cookbook”. Their pictures tempted me to try it that day itself! In this recipe, fish fillets are marinated with some spices and then dipped in beaten eggs, bread crumbs and then fried in oil. I have not followed the recipe exactly and have adapted it to suit my taste preferences. Click here for the original recipe. This is a crunchy, extremely tasty appetizer / snack and kids/ adults alike are going to love it!! Try it, friends!!
1. Tilapia – 2 fillets or around 350 gm (You can use any fish fillets such as king fish, cod, salmon etc)
2. Pearl onions – 4 – 5
Garlic – 3 medium cloves
Green chilly – 1, small
Ginger – 2 inch
Fennels – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Bread Crumbs – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
Salt – 2 pinches
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
4. Egg – 1, beaten with a pinch of pepper powder and salt
5. Oil – To deep / shallow fry
1. Crush the ingredients numbered 2, in a mixer, to a coarse mixture.
2. Wash and clean the tilapia fillets. Cut each fillet into half (You can cut it into 3 – 4 pieces if you want). Make a few gashes on both sides of the fish so that the marinade can penetrate inside. Marinate them with the crushed mixture mentioned in step 2, overnight or at least for about 1 hr, in a refrigerator.
2. Mix the bread crumbs with pepper powder and salt in a plate.
3. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with a pinch of pepper powder and salt.
4. Coat each side of the marinated fish pieces with bread crumbs, then dip both sides in the beaten egg and then coat again with bread crumbs. Keep aside. Repeat the same with all the fish pieces. Heat oil in a frying pan at medium heat. Deep / shallow fry the pieces in oil until both sides are browned. Drain on to a paper towel. Serve immediately with ketchup or thinly sliced onions and lemon wedges. Enjoy!!