1. Young green jack fruit flesh / Chakka chula – 10 – 15 or about 4 cups , cut into 1.5 – 2 " strips (You can use frozen jack fruit)
Vellarikka / cucumber – 1/4 kg, peeled and sliced
Chakkakuru / Jackfruit seeds – 10 – 12, sliced
Snake gourd – 1/2 cup, sliced (Optional)
Drum stick – 1, cut into 2 " pieces
Green chillies – 3 – 4
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
2. Tamarind pulp – 1 tsp or mango slices – 1/2 cup or to taste
3. Grated coconut - Around 2 cups
Cumin seeds – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Pearl onions – 3 (Optional)
4. Salt – To taste
5. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
1. Crush the grated coconut along with cumin seeds and pearl onions to a coarse mixture.
2. Cook the ingredients numbered 1 in enough water (water should be almost in the same level as that of the veggies). Cook covered at medium heat until done. When they are done, open the lid and add tamarind extract. Mix well. (If you are using mango slices, add them when the veggies are half done.)
3. Now bring down the heat and add the crushed coconut mixture in the middle and cover it up with the cooked vegetables. Again cover up with the lid and let it cook for a few minutes. Now open the lid and mix the coconut mixture well. Be careful not to break the vegetables. If you are using curd(add around 1/4 cup, depending on its sourness), add it now. Taste check for salt. Switch off. Add 1 tbsp coconut oil and a few curry leaves to the cooked aviyal. Cover with a lid for at least 15 mts. Mix well. Serve this yummy chakka aviyal with hot rice, pulliseri and other side-dishes.
Adipoli, ente ammoma undakarund ethu.kandittu kothy vannu ketto maya.. aa uruliyile presentationum adipoli…
kollaloe… first time hearing about this.. photo kandittu sure aayi…kidilam item aanennu
Awesome aviyal….Super pics…
Chakka is my fav….aangan kothiyayittu oru pravishyam 2 frozen pack vangi..took for cooking next day..cover was soooo beautiful…pakshe inside it was spoilled…still got one packet…I always take it…see the cover…then keep it back…I am sure if I open it it will be in dustbin..
This is bookmarked! All my fav ingredients in one bowl! Fab presentation as always dear!
Wow looks fabulous… today I bought one jackfruit and was thinking of making something different.. Thnx for sharing..
I have never even tasted jackfruit, think I need too.
Looks so authentic and delicious aviyal..
Lovely Aviyal. I always eat Avial with Adai!
Looks delicious ….. will try with the frozen jackfruits here.
ethu vare ee dish kandittilla… kollaam tto..
Love your authentic dishes..this is simply delicious!
I have heard about aviyal, but never tried, looks superb.
Awesome recipe and wonderful clicks…
I love avial and this looks authentic. I can eat the whole bowl myself without rice ..looks awesome.
daivadosham kittum ketto…ithokke ee pavangale kanichu kothippikkunnathinu…Forgot when I had this last time 🙁 love it !
Never had this type of aviyal before sounds intresting and yummy.
Yummy combo avial,loved it…pass the bowl pls…
Jackfruit aviyal looks delicious !
this is such a wonderful way to use jack fruits -I just made some frozen ones a few days back! I will try this the next time …
Aviyal looks very tasty and fulfilling. Great preparation.
Yummy combo of veggies…gr8 presentation…:)
Aviyal looks extremely inviting and delicious..
this looks n sounds soooper delicious..;P
Wow authentic recipe, chakka enthe yum favorite aa ..adipoli.
chakkaum chakka kuruvum kanichu kothipikkale. adipoli.
Very different recipe. Not able to imagine the taste so got to try it 🙂