Vada Koottu Curry – Trivandrum Sadya Special
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
1. Whole urad dal – 1/2 cup (Soak urad dal in enough water for 4 – 5 hrs)
Crushed pepper corns – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Salt – To taste
Oil – To deep fry
2. Potato – 2 small, cut into medium cubes
Onion – 1 small, cut into small cubes
Green chillies – 2 – 3, slit
Crushed ginger – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
3.Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp.
Coriander powder – 2 – 3 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
4. Thin coconut milk – 1.5 – 2 cups
Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
5. Salt – To taste
For the seasoning
1. Coconut oil – 2 tsp
2. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
3. Dry red chillies – 2 – 3, broken
4. Shallots – 4 – 5, sliced
5. Curry leaves – A few
1) Soak the urad dal for 4 – 5 hrs and drain the water completely. Grind it to a fine paste adding little water, if required. Heat oil in a deep pan. Add 1/2 tsp crushed pepper corns and enough salt to the batter. Drop small portions of the vada mixture into hot oil. Fry them until golden and drain on to a paper towel. This yields about 15 small vadas.
2) Heat oil in a pan and add onion, green chilly, ginger, curry leaves and little salt. When onion turn light golden in color, add turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Saute until their raw smell is gone. Add cubed potatoes. Mix well and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add thin coconut milk and enough salt. Cover and cook until potatoes are done at medium heat. When they are well-cooked, add garam masala powder, thick coconut milk and a few curry leaves. Bring to a slow boil. Add the fried vadas and mix well. Check for salt. Switch off.
3) Heat oil in a small pan. Splutter mustards, fry dry red chillies and add sliced shallots. When shallots turn brown, add curry leaves. Stir for 3 – 4 seconds and pour the seasoning over the curry. Cover with a lid for 15 minutes and mix well. This curry tends to thicken over time. Serve with rice, idlis or even chapatis.
Recipe Courtesy – Beena Nair