Ghee Rice / Neychoru
Ghee Rice / Neychoru
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Basmati rice / biriyani rice / jeerakashala rice / kaima rice – 1 cup
- Thinly sliced onion – 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
- Whole spices – Cinnamon – 2 half inch sticks, cardamom – 2 – 3, cloves – 6 – 7, fennels – 1 pinch, bay leaf – 1
- Cashews, raisins – 2 tbsp each
- Boiling water – 1.5 cups (I have used 1.5 cups of water foe 1 cup rice. Some varieties of rice may need 2 cups of water)
1. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 mts (no need for soaking if you are using jeerakashala rice). Drain and keep aside. Boil 1.5 cups of water with enough salt. The water should be slightly salty.
2. Heat ghee in a pan at medium heat. Fry the raisins until plump. Drain onto a paper towel. Fry the cashews until golden brown and drain. Add 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion and fry until brown. Drain on to a paper towel. Set aside.
3. Add more ghee to the pan if required. Fry the whole spices until fragrant. Add thinly sliced onion and saute until its raw smell is gone. Add the rice and fry for 3 – 4 minutes. Then add the boiling water. Mix well and check for salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 6 – 8 minutes until the rice is done. Switch off. Keep covered for 8 – 10 minutes. Open and garnish with freid cashews, raisins and fried onion.
I usually follow the pressure cooker method – Heat ghee in a pressure cooker at medium heat. Fry the whole spices until fragrant. Add thinly sliced onion and saute until its raw smell is gone. Add the rice and fry for 3 – 4 minutes. Then add boiling water (in which salt has been added), mix well and cover with the lid. Put on the pressure cooker weight/whistle when steam starts coming out continuously and profusely through the vent. Bring down the heat to low and cook for 5 mts. Remove from fire. Open the lid when the pressure releases or after 12 – 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and immediately transfer into a wide serving bowl in order to avoid clumping. Garnish with cashews, raisins and fried onion. Serve hot with mutton/chicken curry or any spicy veg/non-veg dish and raita/kachambar.