Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Pearl onions / kochulli – Around 40, sliced
2. Coconut tidbits / thenga kothu – 2 tbsp
3. Tamarind – Small lime-sized or to taste (Soak the tamarind in 1/4 – 1/2 cup hot water for 15 minutes and extract its juice)
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
5. Chilly powder (you can use kashmiri chilly powder) – 2 – 2.5 tbsp
6. Fenugreek powder / uluva podi – 2 pinches
7. Salt – To taste
8. Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tbsp
1. Coconut oil – 1 tsp
2. Mustard seeds – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
3. Curry leaves – A few
1. Heat oil in a pan and saute the coconut cuts and sliced pearl onions adding little salt.
Saute until pearl onions turn light brown.
2. Bring down the heat. Add the turmeric, chilly and fenugreek powder. Saute until the raw smell is gone.
3. Add the tamarind juice and bring to a boil. If the gravy is very thick, add little water. Check for salt. Switch off when it reaches a medium-thick consistency.
4. Heat oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry curry leaves. Pour over the curry. Enjoy with rice, curd and a thoran/mezhukkupuratti.
Curry looks very yummy…Aa plaavilla madajiya shape ulla kayill nanayittundu…
Looks yuuuuuuuuuuum, lip smaking dish..seriously droolworthy.
Slurp, mouthwatering,wat a droolworthy gravy..
wow, that looks tangy and spicy 🙂
delicious recipe… fabulous presentation..
Looks tempting and like the idea of “ola” in the background…I havent tried this version…I love anything spicy and tangy… bookmarked!
wow..i am drooling here
very delicious n yummy gravy
Delicious tangy curry..
just mouth waterin recipe………..delicious
kothiyayitu vayil vellam vannu..BTW I tried french yogurt cupcakes and has posted it my space..
Truly mouth watering,traditional recipe.
I guess it will be a nice combo with “Thairusadam” too.Will be trying this for sure.Thanks for posting this one Maya and Lakshmi.
Tempting ulli puli..love this,ethu onathinu undakki..your recipe looks so yum
I love the way u guys have presented the dish,inviting!!!!Criss here
pls check this link
Super…yummyyyyyyy…I like the dish very much…