Varutharacha Mutta Curry
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1. Eggs(kozhi mutta or tharavu mutta) – 6
2. Onion – 1 medium, sliced and halved
Ginger – 1/2 inch, thinly sliced
Garlic – 3 – 4, chopped
Green chilies – 2, slit
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
3. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
4. Tomato – 1 medium, sliced
5. Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp (You can use garam masala powder instead)
Garam masala powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
6. Salt – To taste
7. Oil – 1 tbsp
8. Mustard seeds – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2
To roast and grind
9. Grated coconut – 1 + 1/4 cup
10.Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp heaped
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Heat a pan and add the grated coconut. Stir until it turns brown (it need not be dark brown like theeyal). Switch off. Add the spice powders numbered 10 and mix well. Cool down. Powder this roasted coconut mixture in a mixer. Add a little water and grind to a very fine paste. Set aside.
1. Hard boil and shell the eggs and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a cheena chatti / any pan at medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies, little salt and curry leaves. Saute until onion turns light brown. Add turmeric powder and tomato pieces. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes until tomato turns mushy. Add the ground roasted coconut mixture, fennel powder, garam masala powder, around 1.5 cups of water and enough salt. Bring to a boil and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes at medium-low heat. Halve the eggs and add to the gravy. Mix gently. Bring to a boil, cook for a few minutes and switch off.
3. Heat oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies and curry leaves. Pour over the curry. This goes really well with rice, chapatis, puttu, idiyappam, palappam etc.
A very flavourful egg curry!
delicious recipe… beautiful presentation…
Slurrp !!! Best one with Roti and hot steamed rice…
egg with coconut gravy tastes so good with plain rice na..nicely prepared. Loved the addition of fennel pwd
Love to have this with hot puttu..yum
I am salivating here.. so tempting
Looks so good. Would be great with hot steaming rice !!
Wow nice recipe . Its very helpful for new people to kitchen like me. Looking forward for more traditional dishes like this.