Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 8 )
1. 1/4 cup black beans + 1/4 cup pinto beans + 1/2 cup kidney beans (rajma) , soaked in enough water for 8 hours
2. Soy chunks – 3/4 cup
3. Tomato – 3 large, blanched (Refer step 1)
4. Olive oil – 2.5 tbsp
5. Garlic – 5, minced
Onion – 3/4 cup, chopped
6. Celery – 2 stalks, chopped
Bell pepper, green and red – 1/2 cup each
Mushroom – 1/2 cup, chopped
Carrot – 1 small, diced
Jalapeno pepper – 1, minced
Salt and pepper – To season
7. Chilly powder – 1 – 1.5 tsp
Paprika – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Oregano – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Cilantro – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Vegetable stock – 1 cup (You can use water / bean cooking liquid instead)
8. Corn – 1/2 cup heaped
Zucchini – 1/4 cup, diced
9. Lemon/lime juice – 1 tsp or to taste
10. Cilantro, avocado, spring onion / red onion, finely chopped – 2 tbsp each, to garnish
11. Shredded cheese – To garnish
1. To blanch tomatoes – Put the tomatoes in boiling water. Boil for about 1 – 2 minutes until their skin starts peeling off. Take them out and set aside for 2 minutes. Peel off their skin and chop the flesh. Set aside.
2. Put the soy chunks in boiling water for 5 – 6 minutes. Strain and rinse with cold water. Put it in the large bowl of a mixie / food processor and pulse a few times until it is crumbled. Set aside.
3. Drain the soaked beans and put them in a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and cook for 1 whistle or until tender. Set aside.
4. Heat 2.5 tbsp olive oil in a large stock pot at medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add all the vegetables numbered 6. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4 – 5 minutes. Add crumbled soy chunks and cook for a minute. Add chilly powder, paprika, cumin powder, oregano, chopped tomatoes, finely chopped cilantro, 1 cup vegetable stock and the cooked beans along with 1/2 cup of the bean cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Check for salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add corn and zucchini. Again simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes until thick and done. Add lemon juice, to taste. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro. Serve vegetarian chili with corn bread, tortilla chips, chapathis etc. Top with finely chopped cilantro/ onion/ avocado/shreddded cheese etc.
Black beans / pinto beans can be replaced with white chana / garbanzo beans. Crumbled soy chunks adds a nice, meaty texture to the chili but you can avoid using it if you want.