Today I have an easy yet tasty pasta recipe for you that brings all the goodness of Spring. Pasta primavera aka spring vegetable pasta is a dish that consists of pasta and fresh spring vegetables such as fresh peas, asparagus, broccoli etc. Classic recipes for pasta primavera sauce use only olive oil and parmesan cheese but I have used cream to further enhance the taste of this dish.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Penne pasta – 2.5 cups
2. Olive oil – 2 – 3 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
3. Asparagus – 3/4 cup, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
Broccoli – 1 cup, cut into medium florets
Carrot – 3/4 cup,sliced diagonally
4. Zucchini – 1 cup, cubed
Yellow squash – 1 cup, cubed
Red bell pepper – 1/2 cup, sliced
5. Mushroom – 1/2 cup, sliced
Grape tomatoes – 8 – 10, halved
6. Fresh / frozen green peas – 1/4 cup ( I used fresh English green peas)
7. Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Garlic – 2 medium cloves, minced
8. Heavy cream – 1/4 cup
Parmesan cheese – 3 – 4 tbsp, grated
Vegetable / chicken stock – 1/2 cup
Pasta cooking water – 1/4 cup
9. Fresh basil leaves – 3 – 4 tbsp, cut into thin strips
10. Salt and pepper – To taste
11. Parmesan cheese, grated – 2 tbsp
Fresh parsley – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
1. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a pan. Add asparagus, broccoli, carrot and a pinch of salt. Saute for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Next heat 2 tsp olive oil in the pan and saute zucchini,yellow squash, red bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Saute for 1 minute and transfer to a plate. Heat 2 tsp olive oil and saute mushroom for 1 minute. Next add grape tomatoes and saute for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water. Drain well.
3. Heat 1 tbsp butter and 2 tsp olive oil in the same pan. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion turns soft. Add heavy cream, parmesan cheese, vegetable stock and pasta cooking water. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook over low heat for 3 – 4 minutes until sauce thickens a bit. Add basil leaves and mix well. Add in the cooked pasta, cooked vegetables, fresh green peas and mix well. Cook for a minute over low heat. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Serve hot.