1. Chicken breast, thinly sliced – 3
Salt and pepper – To season
2. All purpose flour – 1/3 cup
3. Egg – 1 egg, beaten with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper
4. Plain bread crumbs – 1/2 cup
Panko bread crumbs – 1/4 cup
Parmesan cheese, grated – 3 tbsp
Garlic powder – 1 pinch
Italian seasoning – 1/4 tsp
5. Marinara sauce – 3 – 4 tbsp
6. Basil leaves – A few, cut into strips
7. Fresh mozzarella cheese – 3 slices
Parmesan cheese – 2 – 3 tbsp
8. Bread slices / sandwich rolls – 6 (Use any crusty bread. I used sour dough)
Butter – 2 – 3 tbsp or as required
1. Combine all the ingredients numbered 4.
2. Make small slits on the fleshiest parts of the chicken. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in beaten egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumb mixture.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, bring down the heat to medium. Place a breaded chicken and fry until crisp and browned on both sides, about 2 – 4 minutes on each side depending on its size. Drain on to a paper towel. Repeat with the other breaded cutlets.
5. Brush olive oil or butter on both sides of the bread slices. Toast slightly. Top a bread slice with the breaded chicken cutlet. Spread a tbsp of marinara sauce on top followed by basil leaves and sliced mozzarella cheese. Place it under broiler to melt the cheese, about 2 – 3 minutes. Top it with a bread slice and serve immediately. OR place on a panini press and grill until done. (You can use a regular pan instead of panini press. Heat it to medium and place the sandwich. Place a heavy weight on top or press down with a spatula and toast until both sides are golden). Slice and serve immediately!
Chicken Parmesan Panini Sandwich