Here’s the recipe for koottu curry that’s usually served in marriage feasts in our place. Koottu curry is a combination of vegetables and chick peas, and is usually a semi-dry preparation. The vegetables commonly used for making koottu curry are raw plantains, chena/ elephant yam and winter melon. Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1. Raw plantain – 1 large or 2 small, diced
Chena / elephant yam / suran(fresh or frozen) – 1.5 cup, diced
Green chilies – 2 – 3, slit
Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1.5 – 2 cups or as required
Salt –To taste
2. Cooked black chana / kadala – 3/4 – 1 cup (Soak dried kadala/black chana overnight and pressure cook adding enough water and salt for around 5 whistles or until soft)
3. Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Whole black pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
4. Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Jaggery / sugar – 1/2 tsp
5. Grated coconut – 1.5 – 2 cups
6. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilies – 1 – 2, broken
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
7. Salt – To taste
1. Roast the grated coconut adding 1 tsp oil until it turns browned.
2. Crush cumin seeds and black pepper corns in a mortar and pestle.
3. Cook the raw banana and yam cubes along with green chilies,curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilli powder, enough water (1.5 – 2 cups or in the same level as that of vegetables) and salt. Cook until they are done (you can pressure-cook for 1 whistle adding around 3/4 cup water) and the water almost evaporates completely, about 15 – 20 minutes. Open the lid and mash the vegetables slightly. Add garam masala powder, crushed cumin seeds and black pepper and the cooked black chickpeas / kadala. Mix well. Check for salt. Add 1/2 tsp jaggery/ brown sugar, roasted coconut and mix well. Cook for 1 minute at low heat. Switch off.
2. In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. Fry dry red chilies and curry leaves. Pour over the prepared koottu curry. Keep covered for 10 minutes. Open the lid and mix well. Serve hot with plain rice and other side-dishes.