Indonesian Mie Goreng
Mie Goreng Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Chow mein noodles / egg noodles or any noodles you prefer – 4 oz
2. Vegetable oil / peanut oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
3. Chicken breast – 1/2 – 3/4 cup, cubed or thinly sliced (You can use prawns instead)
Soy sauce – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 pinch
Salt – 1 – 2 pinches or as required
4. Shallot – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Garlic – 1/2 tsp, finely chopped
Cabbage – 1 cup, roughly chopped
Carrot – 1/4 cup, cut into thin strips
Spring onion, white part – 1/4 cup, cut into 1/2inch pieces
5. Bean sprouts – 1/2 cup (optional)
6. Chicken broth / stock – 1/4 cup
Sweet soy sauce / kecap manis – 2.5 tsp (You can replace it with 2.5 tsp dark soy sace + 1/2 tsp brown sugar)
Oyster sauce – 1 – 1.5 tsp
Sambal / red chilli paste – 1 tbsp
7. Spring onion (green part) – 1/4 cup chopped, to garnish
8. Salt – As required to taste
1. Combine the chicken pieces with soy sauce, salt and pepper powder. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 4 – 6 minutes until done. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Add a tsp of oil and mix well. Set aside.
3. Combine all the ingredients for sauce (numbered 6) in a small bowl. Keep the vegetables ready.
4. Heat 1 – 1.5 tbsp oil in a wok/ non stick pan at medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry for a few minutes until cooked completely. Remove to a plate and set aside until ready to use later.
5. In the remaining oil ( add more oil, if required), add ingredients numbered 4. Add a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Add cooked noodles, cooked chicken, bean sprouts and the sauce mixture. Toss well. Stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes until the noodles are well-coated with the sauces. Taste-check for salt and add more sauces, if required. Garnish with spring onion and fried shallots (optional). Serve immediately topped with a fried egg and some thin sliced cucumber, tomato and lemon wedges.