Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Chicken – 3/4 – 1 kg, cut into small pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As required
2. Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
3. Onion – 2 cups, thinly sliced
4. Ginger and garlic – 2.5 tsp each, crushed
5 Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
7. Thin coconut milk – 1 – 1.5 cup
8. Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
9. Salt – To taste
10. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
11. Shallots – 5, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1. Marinate chicken pieces with the remaining ingredients numbered 1. Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 2 hours. Take it out 30 minutes before you start cooking.
2. Heat 2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add thinly sliced onion, pinch of salt and cook until onion turns transparent. Add crushed ginger and garlic and saute until onion turns lightly golden. Bring down the heat to low. Add the spice powders numbered 5– turmeric powder, kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook really well until their raw smell and taste disappears. Now add the tomato pieces and cook until they turn mushy. Switch off the flame. When cooled, grind to a very fine paste (you can add 1/4 cup thin coconut milk / water while grinding).
3. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in the same pan over medium-high heat and add the marinated chicken pieces. Cook for 5 – 8 minutes stirring in between. Add the ground onion-tomato paste and thin coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Cook for a few minutes. Bring down the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for about 18 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the gravy is very thick, add 1/4 cup thin coconut milk. When the chicken pieces are completely cooked, bring down the flame and add thick coconut milk and a few curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute over low flame. Switch off the flame.
4. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook till they turn golden brown. Add curry leaves and stir until crisp. Pour this seasoning over the curry. Cover with lid for 15 minutes. Open and mix gently. Serve with porotta, chapathi, rice, pulao, idiyappam, pathiri or appam. Enjoy!