Meenum Mangayum / Trissur Style Fish Mango Curry
Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Fish – 1/2 kg, cleaned and cut into medium cubes
2. Coconut oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
3. Uluva / fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
4. Shallots (or 13 cup thinly sliced and halved onion) – 6 – 8, thinly sliced
Ginger – 1.5 tsp, thinly sliced
Green chilies – 2 – 3, slit
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder (mildly spicy) – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
6. Raw mango – 1, peeled and cut into small pieces
Kudam puli – 1 small (optional, add if the raw mango is not sour enough)
7. Medium thick coconut milk – 1.5 cup
8. Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
9. Salt – To taste
10. Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Shallots – 3, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
1. Heat oil in a claypot / manchatti over medium heat. Add fenugreek seeds and stir until reddish brown. Add sliced shallots, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves and saute until it changes color. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Saute until their raw smell leaves. Add raw mango pieces and medium thick coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Add fish pieces. Swirl the pot gently. Bring to a boil.
2. Cover with a lid and cook over medium-low heat for around 10 – 15 mts gently swirling the pan in between. When the fish pieces are completely cooked, add 1/4 cup thick coconut milk and a few curry leaves. Adjust the salt and switch off.
4. Heat coconut oil in a small pan and add 2 – 3 thinly sliced shallots. Fry until golden, add a few curry leaves and fry for a few seconds. Pour over the fish curry. Do not omit this step as it gives a nice aroma and flavor to the fish curry. Cover the pan with lid and keep aside for at least 15 minutes for the flavors to set. Serve with rice. Enjoy!!