Here is a recipe for a simple yet delicious vazhakka thoran. Plantains are not the same as raw banana (ethakka) and tastes different. You must have come across these by the name of banana saba in the Indian stores. You will love this thoran.
- Raw plantain/ vazhakka – 3 – 4 or around 2 lb
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Brown rice – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – To taste
1. Peel the plantains and chop them to small cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter the mustard seeds and add the dry red chilies, kuthari and brown them.
3. Stir in the chopped plantain pieces, turmeric powder, chilly powder, curry leaves and salt. Cover and cook till tender at low heat.
4. Crush the grated coconut with cumin seeds, garlic and green chilies. Add it to the cooked raw banana. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes. Switch off. Serve vazhakka thoran with rice and a gravy.