Chenathandu – Cherrupayar Thoran – Onam Sadya Recipe
We, Keralites make thoran with all possible veggie combinations. This is one thoran that is especially made on the day of Onam in our Central Travancore region. Chenathandu (yam stem ) and cherupayar (green gram)make an awesome combination. Do give it a try.
1. Chopped chenathandu (elephant yam stem) – 1.5 cup
2. Cherrupayar (green gram) – 1/4 cup, cooked
3. Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
4. Green chilies – 1-2
5. Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
6. Garlic – 2
7. Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
8. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
9. Dry red chilies – 1-2
10. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
11. Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
12. Salt – To taste
1. Peel off the skin of the elephant yam stem. Clean and chop finely.
2. Heat 2 – 3 tsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves.
3. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the chopped chena thandu, turmeric powder and salt. Stir well.
4. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Crush the grated coconut with green chilies, cumin seeds and garlic. Make a well in the center of the veggies and add crushed coconut mixture inside. Cover the vessel and cook for some more time in low flame. Remove the lid and add the cooked cherupayar.
6. Stir-fry until dry. Serve hot with rice.