This is one of the tastiest chammanthi that I have ever had. The combination is rice, this chammanthi, bittergourd or potato mezhukkupuratti, yoghurt and pappad. You can even use shredded coconut instead of sliced coconut. Try using a stainless steel pan instead of nonstick pan to roast the coconut since the coconut might stick to the nonstick and spoil it.
1. Coconut slices – 1 cup (I use the frozen coconut slices)
2. Pearl onion – 5
3. Ginger – 1 inch piece
4. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
5. Dry red chilli – 5 (You can also use 1/2 tsp chilli powder but dry red chillies will be more tasty)
6. Tamarind – gooseberry size
1. In a pan add the coconut slices and sauté until light brown at medium heat. Now add the dry red chillies. Sauté until the coconut slices turn brown and the dry red chillies are crispy. Take care not to burn them.
2. When it cools down grind it together with pearl onion, ginger, curry leaves, tamarind and salt. Add water only if needed. Your chammanthi is ready. Enjoy!