Pumpkin/Mathanga – Vanpayar Erisseri
1. Pumpkin/Mathanga– 250 gm, diced (You can replace mathanga with butternut squash)
2. Red chori /vanpayar – 1/2 cup, dried
3. Green chilies – 3-4, slit
4. Grated coconut – 1 + 1/2 cup
5. Garlic – 2 small cloves
6. Black pepper corns – 5-6
7. Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
8. Chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
9. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
10. Dry red chilies – 3
11. Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
12. Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
13. Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
14. Salt – to taste
1. Pressure cook the vanpayar till soft and done. Set aside.
2. In another vessel cook the pumpkin with salt, turmeric, chilly powder, slit green chilies and salt adding enough water to cook the pumpkin. (You can pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles).
3. Meanwhile grind 1 cup coconut, 2 cloves of garlic, whole black pepper corns and cumin seeds into a fine paste adding water, if needed.
4. Add the ground coconut paste and the cooked vanpayar to the cooked pumpkin and mix well. Check for salt and add water if needed. If you prefer dry erissseri, you do not need to add water. Cook for a few minutes at medium-low heat.
5. In a frying pan heat coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds, fry the dry red chilies, curry leaves and then add remaining 1/2 cup grated coconut. Roast the coconut till it turns brown (If you want, you can pour the seasoning over the curry and then roast the coconut in the same pan).
6. Add this roasted coconut to the pumpkin and mix well. Check for salt. Serve hot with rice and a thoran/mezhukkupuratti.