We had our Kerala association’s (KAW) onam celebration on 18th and I (Maya) had participated in a fashion show. These are the videos of the show and the slide show of the event & off-stage pictures that my hubby took. I am the 6th one at 5 minutes 20 sec (wearing the black costume and a silver band on forehead) in the Western, Lady Gaga song. Hope you enjoy them :).
Chicken Thoran Recipe
- Chicken – 350 gm
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Red onion – 1 large, thinly sliced and chopped (Using pearl onions will be more tasty. You can use around 15 pearl onions)
- Green chillies – 6 -7, chopped fine
- Ginger – 1.5 tbsp, chopped fine
- Garlic – 1 tbsp, chopped fine
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 pinch
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp (Optional)
- Mustards – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
1. Clean and cut the chicken to small pieces.
2. Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a pan and cook the chicken in enough salt until they are done stirring occasionally. It will take around 15 mts. There is no need to add water since water will ooze out from the chicken. Shred the chicken pieces with your hands when they cool down.
3. Heat some more oil in the same pan and splutter mustards. Then add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute for 2 minutes at medium heat. Then add the sliced onion. Stir-fry until they turn transparent. Add the grated coconut, turmeric powder, chilly powder , pepper powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and a few curry leaves. Stir for a few seconds and add the shredded chicken , garam masala and mix well. Stir fry for a few minutes. You can add a tsp of coconut oil for an extra taste. Switch off. Serve hot with rice.