Ingredients (Makes 12)
1. White chana / garbanzo beans – 1 cup, dried (Soak it in enough water for 10 – 12 hours)
2. Onion – 1/2 small, coarsely chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped
Parsley – 1/2 cup, roughly chopped (You can use cilantro instead)
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Bread crumbs – 1 – 2 tbsp (You can use maida/ all purpose flour instead. This is optional. They are used as a binding agent. Use only if the dough is wet or doesn’t hold together.)
4. Oil – To deep fry
1. Drain the chick peas well and pat dry using a few paper towels. Place it in a food processor and add all the ingredients numbered 2. Pulse until it forms a coarse mixture. If it is very wet, add 1 tbsp bread crumbs / all purpose flour and bind again.Taste-check for salt. Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten slightly.
2. Heat oil in a pan at medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot (when you drop a small portion of the dough, it should immediately come to the surface bubbling. Fry the falafel balls at medium heat, 4 – 5 at a time until brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Serve warm with hummus, tahini sauce or tzatziki sauce. You can also serve it in a pita pocket topped with hummus, sliced tomato, lettuce or pickled veggies. Enjoy!