Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Ghee – 1 tbsp
2. Whole spices – Cardamom – 3, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch, bay leaf – 1
3. Onion – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
4. Basmati rice – 1 cup
5. Hot water – 1.5 cup
6. Salt – To taste
7. Coconut oil / ghee – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
8. Potato – 1 small, cut into thin pieces
Green beans – 1/4 cup, cut into 1 inch pieces
Carrot – 1 medium, cut into thin pieces
Green and red bell pepper – 1/4 cup each, thinly sliced
Fresh green peas – 1/4 cup
Fresh / frozen corn – 1/4 cup
9. Salt – To taste
10. Fresh ground pepper – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
1. Soak rice in enough water for 15 minutes. Drain well. Cut the veggies into thin slices and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Add whole spices – cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves and stir until fragrant. Add 1/2 cup sliced onion, little salt and saute until transparent. Add drained rice and stir for one minute. Add 1.5 cup hot water. Mix well and taste-check for salt. Cover and cook until steam starts to come out profusely. Place the pressure cooker weight on top and cook for 1 – 2 minutes at low heat. Switch off. Open the cooker when the steam releases or after 10 minutes. (Instead of pressure cooker, you can use a heavy-bottomed pan).
3. Meanwhile heat 1.5 – 2 tbsp oil / ghee in a wide pan. Add thinly sliced potato pieces. Cook for a minute. Add green beans and mix well. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies are half-done, stirring once or twice in between. Add thinly sliced carrots and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add red and green bell pepper, fresh green peas and corn. Cook for 1 minute (do not overcook, the veggies must remain crunchy). Add enough salt and mix well. Add the hot cooked rice, fresh ground pepper powder and mix gently. Taste-check for salt. Switch off. You can garnish it with fried cashews, raisins and fried onion. Serve hot with a raita/pickle.