Easy One Pot Recipe for Goan Prawn Pulao
Ingredients For Goan Prawn Pulao (Serves 3)
1. Basmati rice – 1 cup (Rinse basmati rice well and soak in enough water for 30 minutes)
2. Shrimp (medium sized) – 15 – 17, cleaned
3. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
Lemon / lime juice – 1 tsp
4. Ghee / oil / butter – 2.5 tbsp
5. Whole spices – green cardamom – 3, cloves – 5, black pepper corn – 1/2 tsp, cinnamon stick – 1 inch broken, bay leaves – 2
6. Onion – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced and halved
7. Ginger-garlic paste or crushed – 2 – 3 tsp
Green chilies – 2-3, slit or chopped
8.Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
9. Tomato, ripe – 1 medium, chopped
Maggi vegetable/chicken stock cube – 1
10. Fresh / frozen green peas – 1/3 cup
Cilantro – 1/4 cup, chopped
11. Hot water / prawn stock – 2 cups (I used a wide pan to cook this pulao, so I used 1 3/4 cups of water for 1 cup basmati rice. If you are using a pressure cooker, use only 1.5 cup water. You can replace 1/4 cup water with 1/4 cup coconut milk for extra flavor. Also, avoid adding chicken stock cube if you are using prawn stock.)
11. Lemon / lime juice – 1 tsp
12. Salt – To taste
13. Cilantro – 1/4 cup, chopped
1. Marinate the cleaned shrimp with turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes. Soak basmati rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat 2.5 tbsp ghee / oil / butter in a pan or 4/5 liter pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the whole spices numbered 6 and stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Add sliced onion, little salt and saute until transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilies and cook till onion turns light golden. Add turmeric powder and chopped tomato. Cook for 2 minutes. Add crushed maggi chicken stock cube and cook for a minute. Next add marinated prawns and cook for a minute. Add green peas, drained rice and hot water. Mix gently. Bring to a boil. Add salt, if needed and 1 tsp lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Bring down the heat to low and cook for 4 – 5 minutes until the water is completely absorbed. Switch off the flame. Open the lid after 6 – 8 minutes. (If you are using a pressure cooker, cook until steam comes profusely out of the lid. Place the weight on top and cook over low heat for 1 – 2 minutes. Switch off. Open after 10 – 15 minutes).
Open the lid and add fresh chopped cilantro and 1 tsp ghee. Fluff rice gently. Let rest for 5 more minutes before serving. Serve Goan Prawn Pulao with raita/salad, fish fry/prawn fry etc.