Want an easy yet tasty and hardy pasta recipe that is a keeper? Well, today I have a drool-worthy pasta recipe that will tantalize the taste buds of both kids and adults alike! This recipe features cooked pasta combined with ground beef in tomato sauce, topped with cheese and then baked until bubbling. It is not as complicated as it looks – just a few steps and it is oven-ready in 15-20 minutes. Trust me, this recipe suits any occasion – be it regular weeknight dinners or as a main course at parties. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
1. Penne pasta – 2.5 cup
2. Olive oil – 1 tbsp
3. Ground beef – 1/2 lb
4. Onion – 1/2 cup, chopped
Garlic – 3, minced
5. Salt and pepper – To taste
6. Crushed tomatoes – 1.5 cup
Italian seasoning – 1/4 tsp
7. Baby spinach – 2 cups
Basil leaves – 4 – 5, torn (optional)
8. Shredded mozzarella cheese – 1 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup, grated
1. Heat olive oil in a pan at medium-high heat. Add ground beef and break it using a spatula. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes until the beef is no longer pink. Add chopped onion and garlic. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes Season with salt and pepper. Add crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. (You can replace crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning with marinara sauce). Mix well and simmer for 6 – 8 minutes. Add spinach and basil leaves. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes until spinach leaves wilt. Check for salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Add it to the prepared sauce and mix well.
3. Transfer half of the pasta mixture to a greased baking dish. Top with 2 tbsp parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Add in the remaining pasta mixture and sprinkle the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top.
4. Preheat oven at 375 F.Bake for 20 – 22 minutes until cheese melts. Serve hot!
This recipe was featured on Malayali Magazine’s april edition, 2015.