Chemmeen kozhukatta / Chemmeen Undaputtu
Ingredients (Makes around 10 – 12 kozhukatta)
1. Small prawns / chemmeen – 1.5 cup (Around 300 gm)
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt –to taste
3. Coconut oil – 1 – 2 tsp + 1 tbsp
4. Onion – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 3/4 tsp,minced
Garlic – 3/4 tsp, minced
Green chilly – 1, minced
Curry leaves – A few, minced
5. Tomato – 1/2 small, chopped
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
7. Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
8. Cilantro / coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
9. Salt – To taste
10. Rice flour or puttu podi – Around 300 gm
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Salt – As required
Hot water – As required
1. Marinate prawns with ingredients numbered 2 for at least 15 minutes.
2. Heat coconut oil n a pan at medium heat. Add marinated prawns and saute for 5 minutes until dry. Transfer to a bowl.
3. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp coconut oil and add chopped onion, little salt, ginger, garlic, green chilly and curry leaves. Saute until light brown. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a minute. Bring down the flame. Next add turmeric powder, chilly powder and saute until their raw smell leaves. Add cooked prawns. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes until everything combines well. Add 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and pepper powder. Mix well and switch off. Sprinkle cilantro and set aside.
To make kozhukatta
4. Heat some water in a vessel adding salt and fennel seeds. Add the hot water little by little to the rice flour until a smooth dough is formed (use a large spooon to make the dough). Roll the dough into medium sized balls and flatten them with your palm (you can grease your palm with little oil). Fill it with 1 – 1.5 tbsp prawn filling and reshape into a ball. Roll it in grated coconut. Repeat with the remaining dough. Steam the balls in a steamer or idli cooker for about 15 – 20 minutes.