Ingredients (For 4 masala dosa)
1. Dosa batter – 2 – 2.5 cups
2. Potatoes – 2 medium-large (or 4 – 5 small)
3. Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilly – 1 , broken
Urad dal / chana dal – 3/4 tsp
Cashew nuts – 1 – 2 tbsp (optional)
Hing / asafoetida – A tiny pinch
Onion – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, minced
Green chilly – 1, chopped
4. Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
5. Salt – To taste
6. Water – 3 – 4 tbsp
7. Cilantro / coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, choppedhi
For the chutney (optional)
8. Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Dried red chilies – 3 – 4, broken
Garlic – 3 large, chopped
Tamarind – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
In a small pan, heat 1/2 tsp oil and saute dried red chilies and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes. Set aside to cool a bit. Add this to the small jar of a blender. Add tamarind and grated coconut. Coarsely grind it and transfer to a small bowl.
1. Cook the potatoes until done. Mash and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilly, urad dal and cashew nuts. When urad dal turns golden-brown, add a tiny pinch of asafoetida/ hing. Mix well and add sliced onion, curry leaves, ginger, green chilly and a pinch of salt. Saute until onion turns transparent. Add turmeric powder and saute for a minute. Add mashed potato and salt, to taste. Mix well. Add 3 – 4 tbsp hot water, mix well and cook covered for a few minutes. Check for salt. Switch off. Sprinkle chopped cilantro.
3. Heat a non-stick pan (smear some oil if you are using a cast iron pan). Pour 1/2 – 3/4 cup dosa batter (depending on the size of your pan) and spread to make a thin dosa (not very thin). Drizzle 1/2 tsp oil / ghee and cook for a few minutes over medium heat until crisp (you can flip over for a minute if the dosa is thick). Spread the chutney all over the dosa (adding chutney is optional). Next add 3 – 4 tbsp potato masala in the center or on one side. Fold and serve hot with sambar, tomato or coconut chutney. Enjoy!