Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Boneless chicken – 500 gm, cut into small cubes
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1.5 tsp
Salt – To taste
2. Egg – 1, beaten
Corn flour – 1 tbsp
Rice flour – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 pinch
3. Oil – 1/3 cup or as required to to fry
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dried red chilly – 1, broken
Green chilies – 2, slit
Ginger and garlic – 1 tsp each, finely chopped
Hing / asafoetida – A tiny pinch
4. Water – 3 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1 pinch
5. Cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
To roast and coarsely grind
6. Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Dried red chilies (medium or mildly spicy) – 3, broken
Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
1. Combine chicken pieces with all the other ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Heat a small pan over medium-low or medium flame. Add 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 3 dried red chilies, 3 cardamom, 3 cloves and 1/2 inch cinnamon stick. Fry until fragrant, about a minute. Switch off. Grind to a coarse powder when it cools down.
3. Add 1 tbsp corn flour and 1 tbsp rice flour to the beaten egg. Mix well. Add this to the marinated chicken just before frying. Mix well.
4. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry chicken pieces for 5 – 8 minutes on both sides until browned and done. Remove to a paper towel.
4. Discard all but one tbsp oil and heat over medium flame. Add curry leaves and dried red chilies. Fry for a few seconds. Add green chilies, ginger, garlic and hing. Saute for a few seconds. Add the coarse masala powder and a pinch of pepper powder. Cook for a few seconds. Add 3 – 4 tbsp hot water and mix well. Add the fried chicken pieces and toss well. Cook for a minute and switch off. Sprinkle chopped cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges. You can serve it as an appetizer or as a side-dish for pulao or any variety rice.
Recipe courtesy – Dhe ruchi cookery show