1. Chemmeen / shrimp – 15 – 17, cleaned
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
2. Coconut oil – 2.5 tbsp
3. Pearl onions – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced (You can use 3/4 cup sliced and halved big onion instead)
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
4. Tomato – 1 small, chopped
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Meat masala powder / garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
6. Coconut milk – 1/3 cup, medium thick
7. Cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
8. Salt – To taste
1. Combine the cleaned shrimp with a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilly powder and salt.
2. Heat 2 – 2.5 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and fry the shrimp on both sides until 3/4th done or for about 2 – 4 mts. Transfer to a plate. In the remaining oil, saute sliced pearl onion until transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste, a pinch of salt and saute until golden. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until their raw taste disappears. Add garam masala powder and cook for a minute. Next add coconut milk, salt to taste and mix well. Finally add the fried shrimp. Mix well and cook covered for 3 – 4 minutes. Sprinkle cilantro, a pinch of garam masala powder and slit green chilies. Keep covered for a minute. Mix well and serve hot with rice or chapathis.