Ingredients (Serves 6 – 8)
- Banana Blossom/Vazha kooombu – 1 large
- Toor dal / thuvara parippu – 1/3 cup, soaked in enough water for 6 – 8 hrs
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Dried red chilies – 2, broken
- Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 2, diagonally sliced
- Garlic – 3 – 4 cloves, chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – To taste
1. Remove 3-4 outer layers of the banana bud and chop it really fine into a vessel with water, salt, little oil and turmeric powder.
2. In a kadai / cheena chatti, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. Next add dried red chilies and brown them. Add in the toor dal, finely chopped banana bud(after squeezing out the water), onion, green chilies, garlic, crushed cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt and mix well. Bring everything to the center of the kadai. Cook covered over low-medium heat. Add grated coconut when it is half-done. Mix well and continue to cook until completely done. Switch off. Serve with rice and other side-dishes.