Chicken Perattu – Trivandrum Style (No onion No tomato Recipe)
Easy yet delicious Trivandrum style chicken dish that can be served with rice, puttu, kappa or chapathis. Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
Recipe courtesy – Adapted from here
1. Chicken – 1 kg, cut into small pieces and rinsed well
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder /(good quality) – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Coconut oil – 5 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mint leaves – 8 – 10, torn
Rambha ila / pandan leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped (I didnt have it, so i didnt use)
5. Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Ginger and garlic – 1 tsp each, crushed
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
7. Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – A few
1. Marinate chicken with ingredients numbered 2. Set aside for at least 1 hr or overnight in the refrigerator. Take it out 30 mts before cooking.
2. Heat coconut oil in a kadai over medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and bring down the heat to low. Add curry leaves, mint leaves, rambha leaves, 1 tbsp kashmiri chilly powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder. Stir for 2 – 3 seconds and immediately add marinated chicken pieces. Mix well. Cook covered for 20 minutes over low or low-medium heat until half done(open the lid and stir every 5 – 7 minutes). Add crushed ginger, garlic and a few curry leaves. Cook covered until oil separates, chicken is done and well-coated with the masala. Taste-check for salt and add a pinch of garam masala powder, if required. Finally add a tsp of coconut oil and a few curry leaves for an extra taste. Switch off. Serve immediately with puttu / boiled tapioca or mashed jackfruit / idli / porotta / appam / rice etc.