Easy yet delicious Trivandrum style chicken dish that can be served with rice, puttu, kappa or chapathis. Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
Recipe courtesy – Adapted from here
1. Chicken – 1 kg, cut into small pieces and rinsed well
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder /(good quality) – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Coconut oil – 5 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mint leaves – 8 – 10, torn
Rambha ila / pandan leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped (I didnt have it, so i didnt use)
5. Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Ginger and garlic – 1 tsp each, crushed
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
7. Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – A few
1. Marinate chicken with ingredients numbered 2. Set aside for at least 1 hr or overnight in the refrigerator. Take it out 30 mts before cooking.
2. Heat coconut oil in a kadai over medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and bring down the heat to low. Add curry leaves, mint leaves, rambha leaves, 1 tbsp kashmiri chilly powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder. Stir for 2 – 3 seconds and immediately add marinated chicken pieces. Mix well. Cook covered for 20 minutes over low or low-medium heat until half done(open the lid and stir every 5 – 7 minutes). Add crushed ginger, garlic and a few curry leaves. Cook covered until oil separates, chicken is done and well-coated with the masala. Taste-check for salt and add a pinch of garam masala powder, if required. Finally add a tsp of coconut oil and a few curry leaves for an extra taste. Switch off. Serve immediately with puttu / boiled tapioca or mashed jackfruit / idli / porotta / appam / rice etc.