Ingredients (Serves 2)
1. Chicken cutlets (thin sliced chicken breast) – 2 (You can either buy store bought chicken cutlets or you can slice the chicken breast in half through the middle to get a thin flat piece. Using a meat mallet, pound chicken cutlet to about 1/2 inch thick OR place chicken cutlet inside a ziplock and using a rolling pin roll till it achieves uniform thickness)
Salt and pepper – As required
2. All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
3. Egg – 1, beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper
4. Bread crumbs (plain bread crumbs / panko bread crumbs, I used a mix of both) – 1/2 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup, grated
Garlic powder – 2 pinches
Onion powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
5. Oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)– 2 – 3 tbsp + butter – 2 tsp (optional)
6. Marinara sauce or tomato sauce – 1/2 cup
7. Fresh mozzarella cheese and/or provolone cheese – 6 – 8 slices
Sat and pepper – As required to taste
1. Combine bread crumbs with all the other ingredients numbered 4.
2. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil + 2 tsp butter in a nonstick pan / cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, bring down the heat to medium. Place a breaded chicken and fry until crisp and browned on both sides, about 4 minutes on each side depending on the thickness (you can deep fry if you prefer). Repeat with the other breaded cutlet.
5. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil or parchment paper. Preheat oven at 425 F.
6. Top the chicken cutlets with 2 – 3 tbsp marinara sauce followed by 2 – 3 slices of mozzarella cheese and 2 – 3 tsp parmesan cheese (optional). Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt and pepper on the cheese slices.
7. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until cheese melts completely and the chicken is completely cooked through. Sprinkle chopped basil leaves and serve immediately with a side of pasta/steamed/roasted vegetables / mashed potato. Enjoy!!